Nominations for the 2022 Awards are now closed. Judging is now in progress.
View the 2022 Nominations launch announcement here
- Nominations are open to individuals and families involved in farming enterprises or rural communities.
- Entrants can nominate themselves or be nominated by a third party. • Please answer all questions on the first page of the nomination form. Additional information can be added on the second page. This is desirable to support your nomination but is not compulsory.
- Nominations must be completed on the form specific to the category being entered.
- The Awards for Excellence in Innovation, Technology and Diversification will be chosen from the Australian Farmer of the Year and Young Farmer of the Year award categories, or at the discretion of the Senior Judges.
- The Award for Excellence in Agricultural Research is the only Award for Excellence that can receive specific nominations.
- Nominations remain the property of Kondinin Group Limited and ABC Rural. Information and any photos provided may be used for promotional purposes and made available to Award Sponsors.
- Opening date: Nominations open at 9am AWST, November 30, 2021. Forms are available online via www.farmeroftheyear.com.au.
- Closing date: Nominations will close at 12pm AWST, Sunday February 13, 2022.
- Nominees submit their application on the understanding they may be required to fulfil promotional duties as requested by Kondinin Group Limited, ABC Rural and the Award Sponsor; including but not limited to interviews for radio programs or case studies in media.
- Judging will be based on the merit of the nominations received and any subsequent information as requested, including but not limited to, follow-up interviews, referee checks and/or business visits.
- The preliminary judging panel will consist of representatives of the Award Hosts Kondinin Group Limited and ABC Rural. The preliminary judging panel will select about five nominees from each category to be shortlisted and sent to the shortlisted judging panel for evaluation.
- The shortlisted judging panel will consist of representatives of the Award Sponsors and organisers. The shortlisted judging panel will support about three finalist nominees from each category to be sent to the independent judging panel for final evaluation.
- Finalists will be referee checked.
- The independent judging panel’s decision is final.
Announcement and winners
- Award recipients must be available between 5 – 10 September 2022.
- Award recipients are required to attend a one-day winners leadership workshop, to be held in Canberra the day before the Awards announcement ceremony, on Wednesday 7 September.
- Award recipients will be announced and presented at the Australian Farmer of the Year Announcement Ceremony, to be held at Australian Parliament House in Canberra on Thursday 8 September 2022.
- Recipients will be notified prior to the awards announcement and invited to attend the awards luncheon in Canberra. Unsuccessful nominees will be notified by email.
- Recipients will not release information of their win to any other person or media outlet without express consent from Kondinin Group until 2pm on the day of the 2022 Awards Announcement Ceremony.
- Flights and accommodation will be provided for the winner/s of each category.
- Where applicable, award recipients agree to be accessible to category sponsors within reason and at the sponsors cost (for out-of-pocket expenses) for 12-months following Award acceptance.