Nominations for the 2022 Awards are currently open. Nominate via the links below:
- Australian Farmer of the Year Award, 2022
- Young Farmer of the Year Award, 2022
- Farming Legend of the Year Award, 2022
- Rural Consultant of the Year Award, 2022
Rural Community Leader of the Year Award, 2022
- Agricultural Student of the Year Award, 2022
- Award for Excellence in Agricultural Research, 2022
View the 2022 Nominations launch announcement here
- Nominations are open to individuals and families involved in farming enterprises or rural communities.
- Entrants can nominate themselves or be nominated by a third party.
- Please answer all questions on the first page of the nomination form. Additional information can be added on the second page. This is desirable to support your nomination but is not compulsory.
- Nominations must not exceed 500 words.
- Nominations must be completed on the form specific to the category being entered.
- The Awards for Excellence in Innovation, Technology and Diversification will be chosen from finalists of the Australian Farmer of the Year and Young Farmer of the Year award categories.
- The Award for Excellence in Agricultural Research is the only Award for Excellence that can receive specific nominations.
- Nominations remain the property of Kondinin Group Limited and ABC Rural. Information and any photos provided may be used for promotional purposes and made available to Award Sponsors.
- Opening date: Nominations open at 9am AWST, November 30, 2021. Forms are available online via www.farmeroftheyear.com.au.
- Closing date: Nominations will close at 12pm AWST, Sunday February 13, 2022.
Nominees submit their application on the understanding they may be required to fulfil promotional duties as requested by Kondinin Group Limited, ABC Rural and the Award Sponsor; including but not limited to interviews for radio programs or case studies in media.
- Judging will be based on the merit of the nominations received and any subsequent information as requested, including but not limited to, follow-up interviews, referee checks and/or business visits.
- The preliminary judging panel will consist of representatives of the Award Hosts Kondinin Group Limited and ABC Rural. The preliminary judging panel will select five nominees from each category to be shortlisted, referee checked and sent to the shortlisted judging panel for evaluation.
- The shortlisted judging panel will consist of representatives of the Award Sponsors and organisers. The shortlisted judging panel will select three finalist nominees from each category to be sent to the independent judging panel for final evaluation.
The independent judging panel’s decision will be final.
Announcement and winners
- Award recipients must be available around June 15 to June 18, 2022 (final dates to be confirmed by mid December, 2021).
- Award recipients are required to attend a one-day winners leadership workshop, to be held in Canberra the day before the Awards ceremony.
- Award recipients will be announced and presented at the Australian Farmer of the Year Announcement Ceremony, to be held at Parliament House in Canberra in June 2022.
- Recipients will be notified prior to the awards announcement and invited to attend the awards luncheon in Canberra. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified by email.
- Recipients will not release information of their win to any other person or media outlet without express consent from Kondinin Group until 2pm on the day of the 2022 Awards Ceremony.
- Flights and accommodation will be provided for the winner of each category.
- Where applicable, award recipients agree to be accessible to category sponsors within reason and at the sponsors cost (for out of pocket expenses) for 12-months following Award acceptance.