Nominations for 2020 have now closed
- Nominations are open to individuals and families involved in farming enterprises or rural communities.
- Entrants can nominate themselves or be nominated by a third party.
- Please answer all questions in the nomination form.
- Nominations must not exceed 1000 words.
- Nominations must be completed on the form specific to the category being entered.
- The Awards for Excellence in Innovation, Technology and Diversification will be chosen from finalists of the Australian Farmer of the Year and Young Farmer of the Year award categories.
- The Award for Excellence in Agricultural Research is the only Award for Excellence that can receive specific nominations.
- Nominations remain the property of Kondinin Group Limited and ABC Rural. Information and any photos provided may be used for promotional purposes and made available to Award Sponsors.
- Opening date: Nominations open at 9am AWST, Wednesday April 1, 2020. Forms will be available online via www.farmeroftheyear.com.au
- Closing date: Nominations will close at 12pm AWST, Sunday May 31, 2020.
- Nominees submit their application on the understanding they may be required to fulfil promotional duties as requested by Kondinin Group Limited, ABC Rural and the Award Sponsor; including but not limited to interviews for radio programs or case studies in media.
- Judging will be based on the merit of the nominations received and any subsequent information as requested, including but not limited to, follow-up interviews, referee checks and/or business visits.
- The preliminary judging panel will consist of representatives of the Award Hosts Kondinin Group Limited and ABC Rural. The preliminary judging panel will select five nominees from each category to be shortlisted, referee checked and sent to the shortlisted judging panel for evaluation.
- The shortlisted judging panel will consist of representatives of the Award Sponsors and organisers. The shortlisted judging panel will select three finalist nominees from each category to be sent to the independent judging panel for final evaluation.
- The independent judging panel’s decision will be final.
Announcement and winners
- Award recipients must be available from October 26 (afternoon) to October 28, 2020.
- Award recipients are required to attend a one-day winners leadership workshop, to be held in Canberra on October 27, 2020.
- Award recipients will be announced and presented at the Australian Farmer of the Year Announcement Ceremony, to be held at Parliament House in Canberra on the October 28, 2020.
- Recipients will be notified prior to the awards announcement and invited to attend the awards luncheon in Canberra. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified by email.
- Recipients will not release information of their win to any other person or media outlet without express consent from Kondinin Group Limited until 5pm AEST October 28, 2020.
- Flights and accommodation will be provided for the winner of each category.
- Where applicable, award recipients agree to be accessible to category sponsors within reason and at the sponsors cost (for out of pocket expenses) for 12-months following award acceptance.